Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Declaring & Changing Your Major or Minor

students talking in stairwell

Students who have completed a total of 60 units must have declared a major before they may register for the next term. You must still declare a major if you are taking prerequisite courses for admission into an impacted major and have not completed them before you reach 60 units – a “pre-major” designation (e.g. Pre-Psychology, Pre-Communication Studies) is not sufficient.

To declare or change your major, visit your major department.  Departments will submit your declaration of major online with Enrollment Services. You will receive an email from Enrollment Services once the major is declared.

If you decide to drop you major, minor, or certificate, see that department office and they will remove you from the program.



While not required for graduation, a minor is a great way to complement your College of Liberal Arts degree. Generally, a minor ranges between 15-24 units and may be in a single subject or be interdisciplinary. As with majors, minors have specific requirements you must verify with the academic department. Declare a minor as you would a major – by visiting the department. Minors are awarded only as part of a baccalaureate degree, meaning that you must be pursuing a major too. You may not finish a minor after graduation, and minors are not reflected on your diploma.


Double Major

You can double major at CSULB. However, please keep in mind that you must complete your requirements within the Timely Graduation limits. One diploma will be issued reflecting both majors. You can use a course, or courses, to satisfy individual requirements for both majors without limit.



Certificate programs differ from baccalaureate majors and minors in their emphasis on practical and applied uses of knowledge in a specific area of human enterprise. Certificates may only be earned concurrently with or following the award of the baccalaureate degree. A minimum of 18 units are required, however most certificates require 24-27 units. Courses taken toward a major or minor may be applied to certificate requirements. To declare, visit the Certificate Advisor in the department offering the certificate.

A full list of all CSULB majors, minors, certificates and graduate degrees may be found in the University Catalog.