Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Filing to Graduate


graduation ceremony overhead

To receive a Bachelor’s Degree from CSULB students must fulfill the following requirements:

  • Earn at least 120 units
    • 30 of the 120 units must be taken at CSULB
    • 40 of the 120 units must be upper division (300-499) courses
    • No more than 20 of the 120 units may be activity courses (up to eight units each in music, dance, KIN, recreation, etc.) unless required by the major
  • graduate with balloons

    Maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in each of three areas

    • Cumulative GPA (all college courses)
    • CSULB GPA (all courses taken at CSULB)
    • Major GPA
  • Satisfy the Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) – completed if you passed the GWAR Proficiency Exam (GWAR) or an approved GWAR course
  • Complete the General Education pattern
  • Satisfy all major requirements


Before you file to graduate, be sure that:

  • You have at least 90 units
  • You have attempted the GPE
  • You are in good academic standing (i.e. you are not on academic probation)
  • Any outstanding charges are paid (including library fines and lab fees)
  • You are declared in an approved major (not a pre major)

All of the items above can be viewed on My.CSULB

Once you have verified the information above, apply to graduate online and pay the $45 fee through My.CSULB.  You are not required to see your major advisor in order to file to graduate.  However, you may want to schedule an appointment with your major advisor if you need assistance with how you will complete the remainder of your degree requirements. Your $45 pays for the processing of your request, printing of your diploma, and Commencement fees.  The fee cannot be waived, even if you do not plan to participate in Commencement. Submitting the application does not guarantee that you will be allowed to graduate in the requested term.