Freshman Mandatory Advising
Attention CLA Freshmen!
Fall 2016 College of Liberal Arts (CLA) Mandatory Advising Workshops are available now! Sign-up for a workshop to learn about academic requirements, plan your spring 2017 schedule, and get your freshman advising hold lifted. Click here to RSVP for a workshop, and read the document linked below for step-by-step instructions.
PRE-WORKSHOP REQUIREMENTS – You are required to do the following prior to your workshop:
- Complete the CLA Pre-Workshop Guide.
- Fill out and bring your CLA FMA Student Preparation Worksheet.
- Review and bring your CLA Major Checklist.
- Beach Learning Community (BLC) students will be advised by the University Center for Undergraduate Advising. Note: If you are a BLC student in EOP, see EOP for advising.
- Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) students pursuing a CLA major will be advised by the CLA Advising Center, followed by EOP.
- International students pursuing a CLA major will be advised by the Center for International Education (CIE).
- Student Athletes will be advised by the Bickerstaff Advising Center.
All first year students are required to attend Freshman Mandatory Advising during their first and second semesters at CSULB. Most CLA freshmen participate in a learning community during their first year to help facilitate their academic and personal transition to the university. Learning Communities offered to majors in the College of Liberal Arts enroll students in two in-demand General Education classes to help them with mandatory advising, form study groups, make friends, and forge a connection to CSULB.
Registering for Classes
You will register for your first semester classes during your assigned SOAR (Student Orientation Advising and Registration) date. For information on this process, see the SOAR website.
As a major in the Liberal Arts, your advising for your second semester (Spring) and third semester (Fall of second year) will be handled in a workshop format. Emails are sent to all freshmen at CSULB instructing them on how to make appointments or attend advising workshops in the college.
Once your holds for mandatory advising (for spring and fall) are lifted, you will register on your assigned registration date.