Transfer Learning Community
For 26 years, the College of Liberal Arts (CLA) has successfully offered incoming freshmen packaged courses to jump-start college. In 2017, we extended the opportunity to transfer students in the Psychology and Communication Studies departments. Now in Fall 2019, we are offering this amazing learning experience to transfer students in eight different CLA departments!
How It Works
The Transfer Learning Community (TLC) is an opportunity for guaranteed major courses and an invitation to become a part of the larger community of students within an emphasis, a major, and the University. Participants in TLC enroll in a 6-unit package of two courses with other students in their major.
Find Your Direction
- Explore majors, minors, and career paths
- Attend academic success workshops led by alumni, employers, and visiting scholars
- Stay on track for graduation in four semesters!
Expand Your Network
- Connect with faculty and staff within your major and CLA
- Build relationships with other transfer students in your major
- Develop study groups and take future classes with peers
Resources Within Reach
- Early access to major department advisors
- Graduate school planning and research opportunities
- Access to internships, volunteer work, and service learning
Your Experience Matters!
Research shows that learning community students tend to have higher GPAs, are better prepared for class, and are more satisfied with their learning and academic choices. They also get the added benefit of new friendships!
Currently, the College of Liberal Arts offers TLCs in the departments of Anthropology, Communication Studies (unavailable in Fall 2019), History, Human Development, Journalism, Political Science, Psychology, and Sociology.