Posted on February 14, 2013
- Date: April 15, 2013
- Location: N/A
- The Ronald Foote Scholarship is awarded in creative writing. It alternates between poetry and fiction and will be awarded in poetry in 2013. Probable amount of award: $200
- The Bill Jaquith Scholarship is awarded for the best essay. Only one essay (on any topic) may be submitted by each contestant (10 pages maximum). Probable amount of award: $200
- The Beatrice and John Janosco Memorial Scholarship is awarded in poetry. Up to three poems (five pages total) may be submitted. The competition is limited to students who intend to become teachers of English. Probable amount of award: $200
- The Isabelle McCaffrey Horn Memorial Scholarship is awarded in fiction. Applicants must submit a chapter of a novel in progress (30 pages maximum). Probable amount of award: $200
- The John B. Williams Scholarships for Literature and English Education (2)
- The scholarship in Literature is awarded for the best essay in literary research and writing. Applicants must be declared English majors.
- The scholarship in English Education is awarded for the best essay relating to a topic in literacy or the teaching of English. Applicants must be a declared English Education majors with plans to teach in a public school.
- A 10-15-page paper may be submitted for each scholarship. Probable amount of award: $600 each.
- The James I. Murashige Jr. Memorial Award is presented for the best short story. Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA and must be working toward an undergraduate degree in English with a Creative Writing emphasis, the MA in English, or the MFA in Creative Writing. Probable amount of award: $800
- The William T. Shadden Memorial Awards (2) are given in poetry. One award is presented to an undergraduate student and one to a graduate student. Applicants may submit up to five poems (five pages total). Applicants must be working toward an undergraduate degree in English with a Creative Writing emphasis, the MA in English, or the MFA in Creative Writing. Probable amount of award: $1,000 each
- The Gerald Locklin Writing Prize is awarded for three poems, a short story, or an essay. Applicants must have consulted or visited the CSULB Special Collections, which house the Gerald Locklin collection, and must submit a confirmation of that visit with their application for the award(form available in Special Collections). Probable amount of award: $1,000
- The Mary Purcell Scholarship for the Study of 17th and 18th-Century Literature provides an award to a CSULB English graduate student or a CSULB undergraduate accepted into the CSULB graduate program. Applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.5 and must submit a critical or scholarly essay, no fewer than 3500 words in length (12-15 pages), on English literature written between 1660 and 1789. Probable amount of award: $1000
Click here to download the application, or visit the English department office (MHB 419) to pick up a print copy. Entries must be submitted to the office by the DEADLINE (Monday, April 15, 2013 @ 5:00 p.m.). Submissions will be evaluated by designated committees.
Except where otherwise noted, the competition is open to any student currently enrolled at CSULB. Entries should be printed on high-quality printers; prose should be double-spaced.
Students may submit entries for a maximum of two scholarships, and each entry must be a different piece of work. Each student can win no more than one award.
Last year’s winners may not enter again for the scholarship that they won; they may enter up to twoother scholarship competitions. Winners will be announced in May 2013.
Please note that awards may no longer be given in cash: The prizes are deposited in student accounts and used to offset student loans. If students have no loans, the prizes can be redeemed at graduation.
Winners are expected to attend the prize ceremony
on Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 5-8 p.m.
at the El Dorado Park Event Center, 2400 Studebaker Road, Long Beach, CA 90815.
Each winner and one guest will receive complimentary tickets to the prize ceremony.