Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Master of Arts English Department Banner
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Applying and Admissions

picture of pine avenue, long beachAdmission Requirements
Admission Procedures
International Student Admission

Admission Requirements

Baccalaureate Degree

As an applicant to the English Department MA program, you are expected to have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution with 21 units of upper-division English courses. Students whose BA is not in English will need to complete prerequisite courses to bring their upper-division English courses to 21 units. These courses will be determined by the Graduate Advisor in consultation with the Graduate Studies committee. Courses used to remove course or unit deficiencies may not be included in the MA program.


Applicants are expected to have a 3.3 grade point average in upper-division English courses. Students who are conditionally admitted to the MA program with deficiencies to make up must maintain a 3.3 GPA in those make-up courses. Applicants whose upper-division GPA is at least 3.0 may be admitted to the MA program if they take the GRE General Test and achieve a minimum score of 158 in Verbal Reasoning and 5.0 in Analytical Writing.

back to top

Admission Procedures

(You must be admitted to the English MA program before you can be enrolled in 600-level courses.)

Application to Pursue Post-Baccalaureate Study
You must submit to the University’s Office of Enrollment Services a graduate application (available online at to pursue post-baccalaureate study. After the Office of Enrollment Services approves your application, the English Department will evaluate it and determine whether or not you are admitted to the MA program.

You must submit a set of complete and official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to the Office of Enrollment Services. You do not, however, need to send official transcripts of courses taken at CSULB.

Send one complete set of transcripts to:
Office of Enrollment Services / Admissions
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840-0106

Application filing periods:

For current application filing periods, please check the CSULB Graduate Studies web site at

Deadlines for International Students will differ. International Students should check with the Center for International Education for deadline information.

back to top

International Student Admission

The CSULB Center for International Education
International students are admitted to California State University, Long Beach through the CSULB Center for International Education. This Center admits international students, evaluates foreign transcripts, and determines eligibility for post-baccalaureate study.

The Test of English as a Foreign Language
The international student for whom English is a second language must pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 600 (PBT), 250 (CBT), or 100 (iBT) before being admitted to the Master of Arts program in English.

If international students break residency any semester they are not enrolled, they must reapply for admission through the Center for International Education. For an explanation of residency requirements, see the Center for International Education.

Additional Information
For additional information and any other regulations that may apply to international students, consult or write to the Center for International Education at this address:

Center for International Education

California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA  90840-0109
Phone: (562) 985-4106

back to top