Tutors in the Writer’s Resource Lab program provide individualized instruction in the writing process to CSULB students. Work assignments may vary between individual and group tutoring in the Writer’s Resource Lab and tutoring, presenting and facilitating writing workshops outside of the WRL..
- Strong writing skills.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse cultural backgrounds and levels of academic preparation.
- Basic computer familiarity (especially word processing & email), and a willingness to learn more.
- Previous work experience preferably in a position requiring customer service.
Prerequisites to Employment
- Enrollment at CSULB in a minimum of 6 graduate or undergraduate units.
- Completion of, or concurrent enrollment in English 497 (Theory and Practice of Tutorial Instruction in English Composition).
- Participation in new tutor pre-semester training (paid) during the summer (approx. 6 hours the week before classes start).
- A passing score on the University Writing Proficiency Exam (WPE).
- Must be available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week.
- Attendance at monthly staff meetings on Fridays.
NOTE: UNDERGRADUATES AND GRADUATE STUDENTS IN ALL DISCIPLINES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY FOR TUTORING POSITIONS IN THE WRITER’S RESOURCE LAB; YOU NEED NOT BE AN ENGLISH MAJOR TO APPLY!
- Excellent experience and training for those going into teaching or writing professions.
- Participation in a valuable student-centered program.
- Salary: $12.00 per hour to start (approximately 10-20 hours per week).
The WRL hires prior to the start of the semester. If you are interested in a tutoring position at the WRL, please contact Dr. Lori Smurthwaite directly, or complete a WRL Tutor Employment Application 2015 and submit it to the WRL.