Tutoring Position Description
Tutors in the Writer’s Resource Lab program provide individualized instruction in the writing process to CSULB students. Work assignments may vary between individual and group tutoring in the Writer’s Resource Lab and presenting or facilitating writing workshops outside of the WRL.
- Strong writing skills.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse cultural backgrounds and levels of academic preparation.
- Basic computer familiarity (especially word processing & email), and a willingness to learn more.
- Previous work experience preferably in a position requiring customer service.
- Preferred Qualification: GPA of 3.0 or above.
Prerequisites to Employment
- Enrollment at CSULB in a minimum of 6 graduate or undergraduate units.
- Completion of, or concurrent enrollment in English 497 (Theory and Practice of Tutorial Instruction in English Composition).
- Participation in pre-semester training (paid) of approximately 10-16 hours during the week before classes begin.
- A passing score on the GWAR Placement Exam (GPE).
- Availability to work a minimum of 6 hours per week.
- Attendance at one or two Friday staff meetings a month.
NOTE: UNDERGRADUATES AND GRADUATE STUDENTS IN ALL DISCIPLINES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY FOR TUTORING POSITIONS IN THE WRITER’S RESOURCE LAB; YOU NEED NOT BE AN ENGLISH MAJOR TO APPLY!
- Excellent experience and training for any career, especially for teaching or writing professions.
- Participation in a valuable student-centered program.
- Salary: $13.50 per hour, approximately 8-18 hours per week. (The number of hours worked per week depends on the tutor’s schedule and the WRL’s staffing needs.)
The WRL hires prior to the beginning of the semester. If you are interested in a tutoring position at the WRL, please complete a WRL Tutor Employment Application 2019 and submit it to Dr. Lori Smurthwaite by email or drop it off at the WRL in LAB 206.