Christine L. Jocoy
Associate Professor of Geography
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
562 985-1383 | Fax: 562 985-8993
Christine.Jocoy@csulb.edu| Office: PH1-226
Research and Teaching Interests
Christine L. Jocoy is a broadly trained human geographer with interests in urban planning, policy, and politics related to housing and homelessness, transportation, and sustainability. Her regional focus is the US and Southern California. Dr. Jocoy is also the Director of the Applied Internship Program for Geography and Environmental Science and Policy majors (GEOG 492/ES&P 495).
Dr. Jocoy has worked on the City of Long Beach’s biennial homeless count since 2009, and her research on social and transportation policy related to homelessness in Long Beach, CA, has been funded by the John Randolph and Dora Haynes Foundation and the METRANS Transportation Center. She is currently completing research on the land use conflicts surrounding the development of Playa Vista, CA, and the restoration of the Ballona wetlands. Her forthcoming research with Dr. Jason Henderson (San Francisco State University) involves a comparative analysis of bicycle-friendly transportation planning and politics in Long Beach and San Francisco. Dr. Jocoy’s students in the spring 2014 offering of her Urban Geography: Sustainable Cities course participated in this research by interviewing the businesses involved in the City of Long Beach’s Bicycle Friendly Business District program.
- BA, Vassar College, 1993
- MA, Pennsylvania State University, 1998
- PhD, Pennsylvania State University, 2004
AAG 2015 Poster
Experiencing Urban Sustainability in Five Fieldtrips AAG 2015 Abstract & Bib Final
Selected Publications (complete CV in PDF)
- Christine L. Jocoy. 2013. Counting the homeless: the culture of quantification in American social policy. Cultural Geographies 20(3): 397-403.
- Pepper, Dave A. and Christine L. Jocoy. 2013. A Climatological Analysis of Emergency Homeless Shelter Openings in Long Beach, California, USA. Applied Geography 37: 168-175.
- Christine L. Jocoy and V.J. Del Casino Jr. 2010. Homelessness, travel behavior, and the politics of transportation mobilities in Long Beach, California. Environment and Planning A. 42: 1943-1963.
- Monk, Janice and Christine L. Jocoy. 2009. Career Planning: Personal Goals and Professional Contexts. In M. Solem, K. Foote, and J. Monk (Eds.), Aspiring Academics. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Educational, Inc., 16-31.
- Del Casino, Vincent J., Jr., Christine L. Jocoy. 2008. Intervention: Neoliberal Subjectivities, the “New” Homelessness, and Struggles over Spaces of/in the City. Antipode: A Radical Journal of Geography. 40(2): 192-199.
- Jocoy, Christine L., Vincent J. Del Casino Jr. 2008. The Mobility of Homeless People and their Use of Public Transit in Long Beach, CA. Final report to METRANS Transportation Center (available from www.metrans.org/research/final/06-13%20Draft%20Final.pdf).
- Scheyvens, Regina, Amy L. Griffin, Christine L. Jocoy, Yan Liu, Michael Bradford. 2008. Experimenting with Active Learning in Geography: Dispelling the Myths that Perpetuate Resistance. Journal of Geography in Higher Education. 32(1): 51-69.
- Dow, Kirstin, Robert E. O’Connor, Brent Yarnal, Gregory J. Carbone, Christine L. Jocoy. 2007. Why worry? Community water system managers’ perceptions of climate vulnerability, Global Environmental Change. 17: 228-237.
- Jocoy, Christine L., David DiBiase. 2006. Plagiarism by Adult Learners Online: A case study in detection and remediation. The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning. 7(1). Accessible from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/issue/view/23
- Jocoy, Christine L. 2006. Surviving the first time through: A new instructor’s views on designing and teaching economic geography and how mentoring early-career faculty can help. Journal of Geography in Higher Education. 30(3): 419-425.
- Jocoy, Christine L. 2003. Vying for Hearts and Minds: Emotional Labour as Management Control. Labour and Industry: A Journal of the Social and Economic Relations of Work. 13(3): 51-72.
- Jocoy, Christine L. 2000. Who Gets Clean Water? Aid Allocation to Small Water Systems in Pennsylvania. Journal of the American Water Resources Association. 36(4): 811-821.
- GEOG 100 World Regional Geography (Example Syllabus Spring 2014)
- GEOG 360 Human Geography
- GEOG 464 Urban Geography: Sustainable Cities
- GEOG 467 / 567 Metropolitan Problems and Solutions
- GEOG 492 / ESP 495 Applied Internship
- GEOG 666 Seminar in Urban Geography