Deborah Thien, PhD.
Deborah Thien, PhD.
Professor of Geography / Affiliate Faculty in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: 562 985-7072 | Fax: 562 985-8993 | Office:PH1-224
Acting Chair, Department of Human Development, CSULB
Interim Director, University Honors Program, CSULB
Past Chair, Geographical Perspectives on Women Specialty Group (GPOW), Association of American Geographers (AAG)
Past Editor, cultural geographies (cultural geographies in practice section)
Past Editor, Emotion, Space & Society
Feminist geography; emotion, health & well-being; rural, remote & northern places; gender; philosophies & politics of emotion; feminist & cultural theory; innovative qualitative methodologies; place-making politics.
Selected Publications (email me for copies)
- Thien, D., and V. J. Del Casino. (2012). (Un)Healthy Men, Masculinities, and the Geographies of Health. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 102 (5):1146-1156.
- Thien, D (2011) Emotional Life, in M Thomas, R Panelli, P Cloke, V Del Casino (eds.), A Companion to Social Geography, pp. 309-325, Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Thien, D. (2009) Death and Bingo? The Royal Canadian Legion’s unexpected spaces of emotion, Emotion, Place and Culture, Editors, Mick Smith, Joyce Davidson, Laura Cameron and Liz Bondi, pp. 207-226. Farnham: Ashgate
- Thien, D & N. Hanlon (2009) Feminist Perspectives on Care and Place, Gender, Place & Culture 16 (2): 155-162
- Thien, D (2005) After or beyond feeling?: a consideration of affect and emotion in geography, Area 37(4): 450-456.
- Ph.D. Human Geography, 2005 The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
- M.A. Gender Studies, 2000 University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George, BC, Canada
- International Exchange Scholar, 1999 Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
- B.A. English, Women’s Studies (with Distinction), 1995 University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada
Honors and Awards
- 2009-2010 Co-Investigator, “The Fine Arts of Medical Care”, 2009 Northern Medical Program Research Seed Grant, University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George
- 2007-2012 Co-Investigator, Open Doors / Closed Ranks: Locating Mental Health after the Asylum, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Grant, York University, Toronto
- 2006 Postdoctoral Fellowship, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, University of Northern British Columbia, Birth, Death & Bingo: The Emotional Geographies of the Royal Canadian Legion
- 2001-2004 Commonwealth Scholar, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK, Intimate Distances: Geographies of Gender and Emotion in Shetland (Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Award)