Deborah Thien, PhD.
Deborah Thien, PhD.
Interim Associate Dean, College of Liberal Arts
Professor of Geography / Affiliate Faculty in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel: 562-985-5381
Chair, Department of Human Development, CSULB (2017- 2019) http://www.cla.csulb.edu/departments/hdev/
Director, University Honors Program, CSULB (2015- 2019) https://www.csulb.edu/university-honors
Past Chair, Geographical Perspectives on Women Specialty Group (GPOW), Association of American Geographers (AAG)
Past Editor, cultural geographies (cultural geographies in practice section)
Past Editor, Emotion, Space & Society
Feminist geography; emotion, health & well-being; rural, remote & northern places; gender; philosophies & politics of emotion; feminist & cultural theory; innovative qualitative methodologies; place-making politics.
Selected Publications (email me for copies)
- Thien, D., and V. J. Del Casino. (2012). (Un)Healthy Men, Masculinities, and the Geographies of Health. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 102 (5):1146-1156.
- Thien, D (2011) Emotional Life, in M Thomas, R Panelli, P Cloke, V Del Casino (eds.), A Companion to Social Geography, pp. 309-325, Malden, MA: Blackwell.
- Thien, D. (2009) Death and Bingo? The Royal Canadian Legion’s unexpected spaces of emotion, Emotion, Place and Culture, Editors, Mick Smith, Joyce Davidson, Laura Cameron and Liz Bondi, pp. 207-226. Farnham: Ashgate
- Thien, D & N. Hanlon (2009) Feminist Perspectives on Care and Place, Gender, Place & Culture 16 (2): 155-162
- Thien, D (2005) After or beyond feeling?: a consideration of affect and emotion in geography, Area 37(4): 450-456.
- Ph.D. Human Geography, 2005 The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
- M.A. Gender Studies, 2000 University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George, BC, Canada
- International Exchange Scholar, 1999 Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
- B.A. English, Women’s Studies (with Distinction), 1995 University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada
Honors and Awards
- 2009-2010 Co-Investigator, “The Fine Arts of Medical Care”, 2009 Northern Medical Program Research Seed Grant, University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George
- 2007-2012 Co-Investigator, Open Doors / Closed Ranks: Locating Mental Health after the Asylum, Canadian Institutes of Health Research Grant, York University, Toronto
- 2006 Postdoctoral Fellowship, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, University of Northern British Columbia, Birth, Death & Bingo: The Emotional Geographies of the Royal Canadian Legion
- 2001-2004 Commonwealth Scholar, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK, Intimate Distances: Geographies of Gender and Emotion in Shetland (Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Award)