Suzanne P. Wechsler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Geography
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
562 985-2356 | Fax: 562 985-8993
wechsler AT csulb.edu | Office: FO2-000
Dr. Wechsler’s research interest cross a number of areas within geography and environmental science, including geographic information sciences, physical geography, and the application of geospatial techniques to a myriad of geographic, social, and environmental problems.
- BA, Tufts University, 1989
- MS, State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, 1995
- PhD, State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, 2000
- Wechsler, S. (2007), Uncertainties associated with digital elevation models for hydrologic applications: a review, Hydrol. Earth System Science, Special Issue: Uncertainties in Hydrologic Observations, Volume 11, p, 1481-1500.
- Wechsler, S. (2006), Uncertainties associated with digital elevation models for hydrologic applications: a review, Hydrol. Earth System Science Discussions, Volume 3, p, 1-42. [publication for online discussion and peer review]
- Wechsler, S. and Kroll, C., (2006) Quantifying DEM Uncertainty and its effects on topographic parameters, Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, Vol 72, No. 9, p. 108-1090.
- Ambos, E., Rodrigue, C., Behl, R., Lee, C., Wechsler, S., Holk, G., Larson, D., Francis, R., and Whitney, D., Geoscience Field Studies at California State University Long Beach: Urban Applied Research with a Community Focus. Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) Quarterly, Volume 26, No 2, December 2005.
- Wechsler, S., Whitney, D., Ambos, E., Rodrigue, C., Lee, C., Behl, R., Larson, D., Francis, D., Holk, G., 2005. Enhancing Diversity in the Geosciences, Journal of Geography, July/August 2005, Volume 104, Number 4 p. 141-149.
Contracts and Grants
- Faculty Collaborator, NSF GeoSicence Diversity Enhancement Program (GDEP) Track 2. In progress. With Drs. Chris Lee (PI), Camille Holmgren (Co-PI), Lora Stevens (Co-PI), Rick Behl (Co-PI), and others. Funded by NSF for ~$640,000
- PI: Development of A LiDAR derived Digital Elevation Model (DEM) as input to a METRANS geographic information system (GIS) for the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles. Funded by METRANS, $40,000. Final Report In Progress.
- Co-PI with Dr. Antonia Wijte on a Wetlands Study for the Santa Ana River Water Quality Control Board. Completed December 2006. $35,000.
- Collaboration with Drs. Zed Mason, Christopher Lowe, Dessie Underwood, Bruno Pernet on contract with the Santa Ana River Water Quality Control Board to assess water quality of streams and rivers in the Santa Ana River Basin. 5 year project, funding has been committed, formal application and contract in Progress. Directing Geography 481 students in field sampling site reconnaissance. $175,000. Report in Progress.
- PI: Ultrasystems Environmental Provided GPS and fieldwork services for a project in Orange County, CA. $4,071. Employed 5 students. Completed December 2003.