Master of Arts in Geography
** Prospective MA students: review of applications for Fall admission begins March 1, 2017 (deadline June 1, 2017), Spring admission deadline is November 1, 2016. Please see the “Invitation to Graduate Study” below for more information **
What is Geography?
Geography focuses on the spatial organization of human and physical landscapes, the interactions between human society and the physical environment, as well as on the meanings that people bring to their place in the world. Geography sits at the nexus of the social and physical sciences, drawing from a range of theoretical and methodological approaches for understanding the world around us.
Master of Arts (MA) in Geography
Education in Geography at the graduate level at CSULB provides an opportunity to broaden one’s intellectual life and to acquire or upgrade knowledge and skills for many careers. The degree is particularly suitable for those graduates with one of the following professional goals:
- advanced graduate work at the doctoral level
- community college and K-12 teaching
- public sector work (e.g., urban planning, environmental management, geospatial analyst)
- private sector work (e.g., market area analysis, environmental and geospatial consulting)
- non-governmental work (e.g., international agencies, local community organizing)
For advisor contact information and current semester advising hours please refer to the Geography department advising page
You can contact other Geography students through the Geography Student Association
You are also strongly encouraged to contact faculty who share your research interests.
Please refer to the documents below for more information and application procedures.