Posted on June 28, 2012
Today was as full data processing day for Team Hydro™. Personally the biggest challenge I am facing now is learning the ArcHydro toolset (which has a compact 187pg tutorial). My goal was to do a dry run using a 10 DEM of Kauai, following the steps in the tutorial, and compare my results with the official GIS layers available in the state Hawaii GIS site. The complication this creates is that I am not using the provided tutorial data so if I encounter an error it is entirely up to me to figure out what is causing the error and how to fix it.
I have made some progress, but I am still struggling with the preprocessing stage. Still, I believe this will be invaluable when I do get the tool working since I will have a direct way to test the accuracy of my initial results before really drilling down into our projects survey area.
We did not end up doing any field work today, but we are planning on leaving a little early tomorrow so we can get our final embayment surveyed when the weather is (hopefully) calmer.