Posted on June 22, 2013 by Julianna Aguilar
I started the day with the intentions of going to the field to begin working with GPR, but the offshore hydrology team had first dibs. Once I decided I’d be staying home, things started to come together. I spent the majority of the day researching literature for what I thought I’d be focusing on in the next few days, which is GPR data and techniques as it pertains to soils. I found some very interesting articles that confirmed GPR would serve as a reputable source of categorizing different types of soil according to their ability to hold water. I also downloaded more data, thanks to Thomas who graciously shared his geologic findings of the different alluvium. With the new layers I’ve added I’m positive there’s a correlation between the geology and what’s happening to the stream when it ‘disappears.’ Tomorrow I will be working with Dr. Becker trying to find the perfect spot to utilize the GPR and hopefully produce data that will show what the geology is doing underground.