Posted on July 3, 2012 by Samantha Hauser
Post for 07/03/2012
Today, I made a lot of progress with my data processing and analysis. I obtained the georeferenced historic maps from the lovely Avery Sandborn and went through them to pick out features of the quarry, prehistoric wetlands/waterbodies, and archaeological findings. First, I had to subset said features in ERDAS, which took up most of the morning, and then turn them into shapefiles in ArcMap. I ended up making 23 shapefiles (polygons and lines). What was very interesting was how the lake changed shape and position (slightly), but I am unsure whether that is due to the accuracy of the hand-drawn maps or due to physical causes.
Here are some interesting observations I made:
- The lake disappears after 1918
- After the lake disappears the Waiopili Heiau appears on the map (1959)
- As of 2001, neither the lake nor the heiau appear on the map. Only the quarry is apparent.
- The quarry started in the area at the latest in 1910
I am currently running the LiDAR data analysis as I type this. Hopefully the problem was fixed and my momentum can continue.