Global Migration Studies
- The goals for the program are to provide students
- with the critical thinking skills to understand factors that propel migration and affect migrants’ experiences
- with an understanding of the role of history, culture, and gender on different migrant groups. Students who graduate with a minor in Global Migration Studies will better serve a multicultural population and have a clear understanding of how different disciplines approach migration.
- Learning objectives for the Minor in Global Migration Studies include that students:
- demonstrate a theoretical perspective for approaching migration studies
- provide a survey of migration experiences through cross-cultural description; through an introduction to a disciplinary method; through an analysis of the contexts migrants live in; and/or through investigation of factors that impact migrant populations.
- analyze how history, gender, and culture relate to migrant experiences
- critically evaluate descriptions of migrant experiences from different sources, including the media and popular culture.
- understand and work effectively with a diversity of individuals and communities
- apply theory and research to contemporary concerns for migrant groups