All graduating Human Development students are required to take HDEV 470 Practicum/Seminar, which entails the completion of 90-hours of work at a practicum site. HDEV 470 is designed for students to explore a career goal in the last year of their undergraduate experience. All students in HDEV 470 must work in a practicum site for 6 hours per week throughout the semester. Practicum sites in Human Development are chosen by the student, with oversight by the HDEV instructor.
- Please search a list of practicum sites where students have previously found successful placements by opening the Excel spreadsheet in the link above. Practicum sites that we highly recommend are in bold.
The Career Development Center will host its 2nd annual Liberal Arts Internship Conference. Join us for an interactive day filled with activities to help you prepare for and secure a successful internship experience! Friday, April 22, 2016 from 8:00AM-3:30PM in USU Ballrooms
- Find a practicum placement with HDEV faculty and with special community agencies
- Search the CCE database for CSULB-affiliated practicum sites
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
Before applying for enrollment into HDEV 470, students must:
- Be a graduating senior with a major in Human Development;
- Plan to enroll in HDEV 470 during their final semester before graduation;
- File for graduation by the university-set deadline;
- Have taken all the prerequisite courses including HDEV 190/250, 307, 320, 357, 340 or 360 with a “C” or better;
Students with 15 or fewer units will be given priority when issuing permits, as space in HDEV 470 sections is limited.
Orientation schedule and application procedures can be found below. Pay special attention to dates and deadlines.
To obtain a permit to enroll in HDEV 470, students must:
- Attend an orientation session;
- Complete the HDEV 470 Application Form;
- Print an Academic Requirements Report from myCSULB;
- Submit the completed application and the Academic Requirements Report to the HDEV office during the application submission period: 10:00 AM on Feb. 29th to 12:00 noon on March 4th;
- Complete the Section Preference Survey by March 18th at 12:00 noon;
- Read and agree to follow the HDEV 470 Guidelines for finding a practicum site.
Applications will not be accepted prior 10:00 AM on Monday, February 29th, 2016. The deadline is Friday, March 4, 2016 at 12:00 noon.
No exceptions or extensions will be made.
HDEV 470 permits will be issued in late March.
You must attend one of the mandatory 1-hour orientation meetings:
- Monday, February 29, 2016 at 9:00 AM in LA2-109
- Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 2:00 PM in PH1-220
- Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 6:00 PM in PSY-148
- Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 8:00 AM in LA5-147
- Friday, March 4, 2016 at 9:00 AM in LA2-109
Late students will not be admitted to the orientation session. No exceptions.
RSVP is not required.
Forms and More Resources
Please contact Dr. Kimberly Kelly at Kimberly.Kelly@csulb.edu, the Human Development Internship Coordinator, with questions about HDEV 470.