All graduating Human Development students are required to take HDEV 470 Practicum/Seminar, which entails the completion of 90-hours of work at a practicum site. HDEV 470 is designed for students to explore a career goal in the last year of their undergraduate experience. All students in HDEV 470 must work in a practicum site for 6 hours per week throughout the semester. Students are solely responsible for securing an appropriate practicum using the resources provided by the Department of Human Development.
HDEV 470 enrollment procedures
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
Before enrolling in HDEV 470, students should:
- Be a senior with a major in Human Development;
- Have taken all prerequisite courses including HDEV 190/250, 307, 320, 357, 340 or 360 with a “C” or better.
- Plan to enroll in HDEV 470 during their last semester of HDEV coursework.
To enroll in HDEV 470, students must:
- Complete the HDEV 470 Online Orientation*** and print the Certificate of Completion;
- Register for a section of HDEV 470 during your registration access period as determined by University policies;
- Download and read the Handbook for HDEV 470 Students and Sponsors found here.
- Agree to follow the guidelines for finding a practicum site and expectations for students.
- Submit all required paperwork to the department by noon on November 18th, 2016. Late forms will not be accepted.
***The online orientation should be completed on a computer with access to a printer.***
Checklist for 470 Enrollment
The requirements for enrolling in HDEV 470 entail advance planning and coordination between yourself and your site supervisor. Students who fail to complete any of the following by the deadlines (varies by semester) will be dropped from HDEV 470. Below is a checklist summarizing the steps students must take to enroll in HDEV 470. For more detail, students should carefully read and follow guidelines and procedures in the Handbook for HDEV 470 Students and Sponsors.
The 470 Checklist form can be found here and the checklist items are below.
- Determine whether you meet minimum eligibility requirements.
- Complete and pass online orientation module, then print the Certificate of Completion.
- Read and agree to follow the guidelines in the Handbook for HDEV 470 Students and Sponsors.
- Register for a section of HDEV 470 during your University registration access period.
- Secure an internship placement at an appropriate practicum site.
- Confirm supervisor has completed Sponsor Information Survey (online).
- Submit Sponsor Signature Form including online orientation Certificate of Completion and printed completion page of Sponsor Information Survey by noon on November 18, 2016 to the HDEV main office (LA3-202). Late forms will not be accepted. No exceptions.
- Complete pre-internship requirements as determines by your practicum site supervisor.
- Begin working hours at your practicum by the first week of classes.
HDEV 470 Practicum Documents and Resources
- Handbook for HDEV 470 Students and Sponsors
- Agency Letter
- Sponsor Signature Form
- Student Petition for Practicum Placement Exceptions
- The Department of Human Development has compiled a list of affiliated practicum sites in the community that are available to human development students. Affiliated practicum sites have partnered with HDEV to provide meaningful professional experiences to students in a structured work environment. Students should first attempt to secure a placement at an affiliated practicum site listed in the HDEV Practicum Partners Database.Students will be allowed to intern at a non-affiliated practicum site when a compelling case can be made that the affiliated sites listed in the HDEV Practicum Partner Database cannot meet the student¹s career goals and objectives. Procedures for petitioning for a practicum placement exception can be found in the Handbook for HDEV 470 Students and Sponsors.
- Find a practicum placement with HDEV faculty and with special community agencies
HDSA Internship Panel
The Human Development Student Association (HDSA) typically hosts multiple panels with representatives from HDEV-affiliated practicum sites throughout the fall and spring semesters. Event dates/times are posted on the HDEV Homepage under Upcoming Events and on the HDSA website.