*PLEASE NOTE:  Professor Marcus is on sabbatical for the Spring 2020 term.  All petitions and administrative questions should be addressed to Professor Laura Ceia –

International Studies is an advising-intensive major. While you should review requirements in the online catalogue carefully, there is no substitute for meeting with the advisors. The sooner you schedule an appointment, the sooner you can create a personalized plan to get what you want out of the major, help you prepare for your future, and fulfill requirements in the most efficient and meaningful way possible.

Internship Advising

Study Abroad Advising

Problem-Solving, Petitions, etc.

Undergraduate Advising

Sabbatical  Spring 2020 

For internship advising and approval, make an appointment with Dr. McCall For general, pre-departure, and transfer credit advising for all study abroad programs, make an appointment with Dr. Laura Ceia. For general undergraduate advising, make an appointment with Professor Grossman-Thompson  
FO2-206 LA3-100A LA3-103 B  

Jolene McCall

Laura-Ceia-Minjares-240 Barbara Grossman-Thompson Photo on 1-8-16 at 10.43 AM


All new transfer students are required to attend SOAR. We also encourage you to come in to a major advisor early in your first semester to ensure you start off on the right track. As you work on the advising sheet some things to keep in mind:

  1. NEW: All new transfer students should register for I/ST 491 Intercultural Competency for Education Abroad and Internships. This is a ONE UNIT course.
  2. You need I/ST 200 Introduction to International Studies and should take this your first semester if possible as it is a gateway course.
  3. Courses are grouped but not sequenced. If you have transferred in 60 units you can take upper division courses. We do, however, strongly encourage you to finish your major-specific lower division courses first as they will help prepare you for success at the upper division level. In particular, all upper division I/ST courses are writing intensive and require learning theory that can be used as a lens to analyze current issues. The lower division course sequence helps prepare you for this.
  4. The Language requirement is “Three Years or the Equivalent.” If you are already fluent in reading, writing, and speaking another language you are not required to learn a third language (though where possible it is encouraged for your own personal growth). To clear this you MUST meet with an I/ST advisor and should not assume this requirement is fulfilled before this. If you are just beginning language study then it is strongly encouraged that you start as soon as possible. There are ways of expediting language study through study abroad and language immersion but learning a language is a process.
  5. If planning to study abroad it is very difficult to take your I/ST core courses abroad but it is relatively easy to take your “Geographic Area Concentration” and “Professional Development Area” courses abroad. You should therefore focus your first upper division coursework on your core courses. This requirement, I/ST 492 Education Abroad or Internship, is our best opportunity to help you prepare for what comes next after your degree. Meet with the Education Abroad and Internship advisor early to plan.
  6. You choose ONE Professional Development Area and ONE Geographic Area Concentration. Each are 9 units.
  7. Except for the most extenuating circumstances your Geographic Area Concentration, Language, and Education Abroad/Internship experience must match.