Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
SPJ Officers for the 2014-2015 Academic Year:
President: Alfred Pallarca
Vice President: Cienna Acevedo
Treasurer: Krista Rangel
Publicity Director/Secretary: Jonathan Murrietta
Board Member At-Large: Jazmin Salgado
Faculty Adviser: Dr. Christopher Karadjov
What is SPJ?
The Society of Professional Journalists is a major organization devoted to upholding the highest quality of American journalism. It has been a trendsetter for more than 100 years, helping its members to be among the best in the field. It is not limited to journalists – and, in fact, public relations practitioners are often its members to gain extra experience and insights.
SPJ is dedicated to:
– Promoting excellence among media professionals.
– Inspiring successive generations of talented individuals to become dedicated journalists.
– Maintaining constant vigilance in the protection of the First Amendment guarantees.
– Stimulating high standards and ethical behavior in the practice of journalism and other media-related occupations.
– Encouraging diversity in the U.S. media.
Fostering a climate of free speech, free press and free practice of journalism.
Being the pre-eminent, broad-based membership organization for journalists and other media professionals.
Why Should I Join SPJ?
– As a journalism student and SPJ member at Cal State Long Beach, you will gain important information from our meetings and speakers that you won’t get from classes.
- Workshops and seminars will help you hone your media skills, build your portfolio and get comfortable with the newest technologies.
– Many internships and scholarships will be available to you through membership.
- Network and build relationships with great people who care about journalism and its standards.
– It’s only $15 to join.
Come and be a part of journalism excellence!
Meetings and events are scheduled twice a month
Visit us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @SPJ_CSULB