Danny Paskin joined the Department in 2008. He was born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where he earned an associate’s degree in Data Processing and a Bachelor’s in Communication, focusing on journalism. In 1998, Danny migrated to Florida, to pursue his graduate studies at the University of Miami. There, Danny was awarded his Master’s in Journalism and his Ph.D. in International Relations. His dissertation compared the coverage of international news in the United States and Brazil.
Professionally, Danny worked for the Miami Herald, in Florida, as a graphics professional, creating maps, charts, illustrations and special projects. As part of the paper, he was awarded three international Society for News Design (SND) awards for his participation in the coverage of the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Following the Herald, he worked at the News-Press, in Fort Myers, FL, as a copy editor/page designer, laying out pages for various sections of the daily paper while also working for the paper’s online department and helping with special reporting projects.
He has done extensive work and research in new media and social media (especially Facebook), graphic design, and international journalism, especially Brazilian media studies, having participated and presented in several conferences. He has organized and co-headed several conferences and seminars, and has developed crash courses for applied graphic design while consulting firms in Florida on design-related technology.
More recently, he has presented a number of lectures on and off-campus on the use of iPads in Higher Education, and is currently involved in a campus-wide project to test the efficacy of iPads in teaching on campus. He’ll also be assisting with campus-wide faculty training during the project.
Outside the classroom, Danny enjoys mentoring students, watching movies and his iPod/iPad/iPhone.
- Paskin, D. (2013). Attitudes and Perceptions of Public Relations Professionals Towards Graduating Students’ Skills. Public Relations Review,29(3), 251-253
- Paskin, D. (2012). Design Characteristics in International News Coverage: A Comparison Between the U.S. and Brazil. Journal of Mass Communication and Journalism, 2(2).
- Paskin, D. (2010).Say What? An Analysis of Reader Comments in Best Selling American Newspapers. Journal of International Communication 16(2)
- Paskin, D. (2010). [Review of the book The Yahoo! Style Guide: The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing and Creating Content for the Digital World, by Chris Barr], Journalism & Mass Communication Educator, 65(3)
- Paskin, D. (2010).Coverage of International News in Brazilian and American Print Media. Global Media Journal, 5th Directory
- Paskin, D. (2009).Graphics, in Encyclopedia of Journalism, ed. Christopher H. Sterling. Sage Publications
- Paskin, D. (2009). A New Twist on Old Question: Who Can Be a Journalist?. Editor & Publisher, 09/02/2009, guest column.
Office Location: LA4-101A Office Hours: Mondays and Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m.-9:50 a.m. Advising Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9 a.m.-11:30 a.m.; by email, or by appointment Phone: 562-985-2602 Email: Danny.Paskin@csulb.edu Twitter: @dpaskin Teaching Schedule: JOUR 340 – INTRODUCTION TO ONLINE MEDIA – Section 01/02 – MW – 10-11:50AM – LA4-107 JOUR 440 – TRENDS IN ONLINE MEDIA – Section 01/02 – MW – 4-5:50PM – LA4-107 For syllabi for this and all Department of Journalism & Mass Communication classes, click here.