Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Linguistics Banner Large
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL, TEFL, TESL, ESL)

The graduate level Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) is open to graduate students from any field who desire training in teaching English to speakers of other languages. It is independent of a teaching credential, which is required for teaching in public schools, grades K-12.

The TESOL Certificate is recognized by private institutions, adult schools and community college programs for teaching ESL. Some programs may require an MA in TESOL in addition to the TESOL certificate.

The TESOL certificate is also useful for teaching English abroad, as a foreign language (TEFL).

Although you can begin the Certificate as an undergraduate student, at least 18 units must be completed as a graduate student.

Full information on prerequisites and requirements can be found in the Catalog.

Click here for gainful employment disclosure information

Side of Psychology building