Dr. Nancy Hall
Title: Associate Professor & Undergraduate Advisor
Bachelor’s Degree: Johns Hopkins University, Near Eastern Studies, 1997
Ph.D.: University of Massachusetts-Amherst, Linguistics, 2003.
My primary research interests are in the area of phonology and phonetics. I received a 3-year NSF grant to study vowels in dialects of Levantine Arabic.
- LING 329: Language Acquisition
- LING 401: Corpus Linguistics
- LING 420: Phonology
- LING 426: History of the English Language
- LING 438: Psycholinguistics
- LING 610: Historical Linguistics
- LING 625: Seminar in Phonetics and Phonology
- 2013. Acoustic differences between lexical and epenthetic vowels in Lebanese Arabic. Journal of Phonetics 41:2, pp 133-143.
- 2012. Perceptual errors or deliberate avoidance? Types of English /r/-dissimilation. Proceedings of the Thirty-Fourth Annual Meeting of the Berkeley Linguistics Society, February 8-10 2008. pp. 133-144.
- 2011. Vowel epenthesis. In Marc van Oostendorp, Colin J. Ewen, Elizabeth Hume & Keren Rice (eds.) The Blackwell companion to phonology. 5 vols. Malden, MA & Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell. pp. 1576–1596.
- 2010. Articulatory Phonology. Language and Linguistic Compass 4/9. pp. 818–830.
- 2009. (with Maria Gouskova) An acoustic study of epenthetic and underlying vowels in Lebanese Arabic. In Steve Parker, ed., Phonological Argumentation Essays on Evidence and Motivation. Equinox.
- 2007. Lexical selection for left-edge stress in children. In L. Bateman, M. O’Keefe, E. Reilly and A. Werle, eds., Papers in Optimality Theory3. University of Massachusetts Occasional Papers. Amherst, MA: GLSA.
- 2006. Cross-linguistic patterns of vowel intrusion. Phonology 23: 387-429. PDF pre-print
- 2003. Gestures and segments: vowel intrusion as overlap (doctoral dissertation)
- 2001. MAX-Position drives iterative footing. In K. Megerdoomian and L. A. Bar-el, eds, WCCFL 20 Proceedings, pp. 248-261. Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.
Professional Activities, Awards, & Affiliations:
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow, 1998-2001.