Dr. Rebekha Abbuhl
|Title: Associate Professor & Graduate Advisor
Office Location: PSY 209
Phone Number: (562) 985-1393
E-mail Address: Rebekha.Abbuhl@csulb.edu
Bachelor’s Degree: Beloit College, Literary Studies, 1993
Master’s Degree: Ohio State University, Linguistics, 1996
Ph.D.: Georgetown University, Applied Linguistics, 2005.
My primary research interests focus on the acquisition of second language writing skills and the effect of input and interaction on the development of both the written and spoken L2. I am also interested in teacher training and second language acquisition research methods.
- LING 101: Introduction to the World’s Languages
- LING 301: Introduction to Research Methods
- LING 329: Introduction to Language Acquisition
- LING 460: TESL Composition
- LING 486: Second Language Teaching Methods
- LING 539: Language Acquisition
- LING 593: Practicum in TESL
- LING 595: Qualitative Research Methods
- LING 596: Quantitative Research Methods
Publications and Professional Presentations:
- Sagarra, N., & Abbuhl, R. (2013). Optimizing the noticing of face-to-face recasts via computer-delivered feedback: evidence that oral input enhancement and working memory help L2 learning. Modern Language Journal, 97, 196-216.
- Abbuhl, R. (2012). Using self-referential pronouns in writing: The effect of explicit instruction on L2 writers at two levels of proficiency. Language Teaching Research, 16, 501-518.
- Abbuhl, R. (2012). Practical methods for teaching replication to applied linguistics students. In G. Porte (Ed.), Replication research in applied linguistics (pp. 135-150). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Mackey, A., Abbuhl, R., & Gass, S. (2012). Interaction approach. In S. Gass & A. Mackey (Eds.), The Routledge handbook of second language acquisition (pp. 7-23). New York: Routledge.
- Abbuhl, R. (2011). Why, when and how to replicate research. In A. Mackey & S. Gass (Eds.), Research methods in second language acquisition: A practical guide (pp. 296-312). London: Basil Blackwell.
- Abbuhl, R. & Mackey, A. (2008). Second language research methods. In K. A. King & N. Hornberger, Encyclopedia of language and education: Volume 10 (research methods). London: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Mackey, A. & Abbuhl, R. (2006). Interaction and tasks. In C. Sanz (Ed.), Mind and context in adult second language acquisition: Methods, theory, and practice. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- Abbuhl, R. (April 2005). Going beyond the product: Using stimulated recalls in L2 writing research. International Society for Language Studies, Montreal, Canada.
- Silver, S., Abbuhl, R., & Mackey, M. (April 2005). Communicative tasks, corrective feedback and child second language acquisition. International Society for Language Studies, Montreal, Canada.
- Abbuhl, R. (March 2005). Assessing the impact of feedback on L2 writing: The case of the advanced learner. Georgetown University Round Table, Washington, DC.
Professional Activities, Awards, & Affiliations:
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Member of TESOL