Dr. Stephen B. Ross
|Title: Professor of Linguistics (Emeritus)
Phone Number: (714) 546-4410 (Home)
Fax Number: (714) 546-4410 Let ring 4 times, listen to message, *51
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Bachelor’s Degree: Psychology & Education, George Fox University, 1957
Master’s Degree: English, University of Southern California, 1968. M.Th., Nazarene Theological Seminary (1960), New Testament
Ph.D.: Linguistics, University of Southern California, 1972.
English linguistics and teaching English as a second language, particularly combining the two in pedagogical grammar, with an emphasis on teaching syntax with a semantic focus.
- LING 329: Introduction to Language Acquisition
- LING 486: Language Minority Instruction: Practice
- LING 421: English Syntax
- LING 620: Seminar in Syntax
- Have previously taught LING 561, LING 562, ENGL 420, ENGL 498, ENGL 625, etc.
Publications and Professional Presentations:
- Ross, S. B. (2004). Language without grammar: Theories of acquisition and communication. Long Beach, CA: CSULB.
- Ross, S. B. (2003). Acquiring English Phonology: What children can teach us. San Diego and Pomona, CA: Presentation to CATESOL Regional Conferences.
- Ross, S. B. (In Press). The acquisition of English phonology. Journal of the Perm (Russia) Academy of Medicine.
- Ross, S. B. (2002). Teaching something new to seasoned grammar students. Salt Lake City, UT: Presentation to 2002 TESOL Conference.
- Ross, S. B. (1995). The power of teaching vocabulary: A lexical/semantic approach to TEFL. Kaohsiung, Taiwan and Bangkok, Thailand: English Teacher’s Association and Chulalongkorn University Conference on Expanding Horizons in English Language Teaching.
Professional Activities, Awards, & Affiliations:
- President, CATESOL (1983).
- Conference Treasurer, CATESOL (1998).
- Co-winner, CATESOL Sadae Iwataki Award for life-time service and merit (1998).
- Conference Hospitality Chair, TESOL (1995).
- Official scorer, 1984 Olympic Games (Basketball).
- Live between Costa Mesa Golf Club and Mesa Verde Golf Course.