Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
California State University, Long Beach
Print this pageAdd this page to your favoritesSelect a font sizeSelect a small fontSelect a medium fontSelect a large font

Philosophy Department Policy on Revalidation of MA Coursework
(Approved 4/12/2007

1. If individual circumstances warrant it, the Philosophy Department will revalidate no more than three courses on a student’s Program of Study.

2. The Philosophy Department will not revalidate any course for which the student received a grade lower than a “B.”

3. If more than three courses require revalidation, or the grade for that course is lower than a “B,” the student will have to retake that course, if it is a requirement for the MA program, or replace that course with a current course that completes the student’s Program of Study.

Procedures for revalidating coursework past the 7 year limit:

If the faculty member who taught the course is still available, the student shall contact her/him and request revalidation of the course. If the faculty member agrees to revalidate the course, s/he must require the student to provide a written demonstration of current competence, such as:

  • an essay discussing at least four primary texts that are currently on that instructor’s syllabus for the course.
  • an annotated bibliography and an essay that reviews four secondary sources on the course subject published since the date of the lapsed coursework.

Once the student’s competence has been demonstrated to the faculty member’s satisfaction, the submitted work will be forwarded to the graduate advisor, with a memo from the faculty member attesting to the satisfactory completion of the revalidation. The graduate coordinator will then have the revalidation approved by the College’s Associate Dean.

If the faculty who taught the lapsed coursework is no longer available to the student, the student shall notify the graduate advisor, who will consult with faculty currently teaching that course and determine if a faculty member is willing to assess the student’s competence by one of the means outlined above. If no appropriate faculty member consents to overseeing recertification of a course, the student cannot recertify that course and must either take a replacement course of recertify another appropriate course.