Thank you for your interest in the Master of Arts in Political Science program at California State University, Long Beach. Below you will find important information that will guide you through the application process. If you have any further questions please email the graduate coordinator Dr. Goldstein at Cora.Goldstein@csulb.edu
Political Science Department Admissions Requirements
The minimum prerequisites necessary for admission consideration are:
- A bachelor’s degree with a major in political science or a bachelor’s degree with 24 upper division units in political science comparable to those required for a major in political science at this university.
- A 3.0 (“B”) GPA in political science courses taken as an undergraduate;
- Three letters of recommendation (preferably from academic sources);
- A statement of purpose of approximately 500 words. Include a discussion of applicant’s motivations and qualifications for entering the MA program.
Students who have not majored in political science and do not have 24 units of upper division political science work are encouraged to consult with the graduate coordinator for further advice.
International Student Admissions Requirements
The application process is somewhat different for international applicants. Please check with the Center for International Education for further details on the specific requirements for international applicants.
- Center for International Education (CIE)
1250 Bellflower Blvd., BH 201
Long beach, CA 90840-0109
for Fall Admission: February 15th
for Spring Admission: October 1st
The following materials are required for ALL applicants:
- 1. University Application (https://secure.csumentor.edu/) (international applicants must complete University International Graduate Application)
- 2. Official Transcripts from all colleges attended submitted to the following address (international applicants, see note below*):
Brotman Hall, Room 101
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-0106
- 3. Department Application.
- 4. A statement of purpose of approximately 500 words that includes a discussion of your motivations and qualification for entering the MA program.
- 5. Three academic Letters of Recommendation. (At least two from academic sources)
Requirements 3 to 5 are to be mailed to:
Department of Political Science- SSPA 257
Attn: Graduate Coordinator
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
* International applicants: transcripts and official English test scores must be sent directly to CIE. Please check with CIE for details.