Apply to be a PRO Guide
A select group of Psychology majors will be trained as PRO Guides to greet and orient new majors and minors and to provide general information to Psychology students about department requirements, student organizations, careers, graduate study and other psychology opportunities.
The application deadline has passed. Please check here in November 2016 for Spring and Fall 2017 applications
- Guides must be psychology majors, but may apply while still pre-majors.
- All applicants must have completed PSY 220 by the end of the semester in which they apply and have completed or be enrolled in PSY 301 for the current semester.
- Overall GPA of at least 2.75; Psychology GPA of at least 3.0.
- Two recommendation forms attesting to the reliability and responsibility of the applicant, at least one from a CSULB faculty member.
- Ease in interacting with peers, good communication skills, and public speaking abilities.
- Availability one week prior to the beginning of the upcoming semester.
- Two semester commitment
- Guides must attend class for 1 1/2 hours a week on Wednesdays (12:30 to 1:45) and be available an additional five hours each week for advising (hours to be arranged). In addition, each guide will undertake an educational project that averages two to three hours a week.
- Get to know other psychology students and faculty. Make friends!
- Learn about course requirements, graduate school and careers in the field of psychology.
- Earn six units of upper division credit. One semester of PSY 406A/B satisfies three units of Psychology Category 5 (400-level course) and the second semester satisfies three units of Psychology Category 6 (any 300 or 400 Psychology course)
- Gain experience important to employers and graduate schools
- Good Guides get Great letters of recommendation from their supervisors
Still have Questions?
Feel free to drop by the Psychology Resource Office in room PSY 206 and talk to a current Guide to get a first hand account of what being a Guide is like. Find out what they thought of the experience and see if it is right for you.