Dance for Arbuckle (November 28, 1917)
December 15, 1917: The Moving Picture World ("Balboa Gives Dance for Arbuckle"): Balboa’s new glassed-in studio, which is now nearing completion, was initiated on the night of November 28 with a big dance for which invitations had been sent to a thousand of the foremost people in filmdom. The affair was given by the Messrs. Horkheimer in honor of Roscoe Arbuckle, now making pictures in Long Beach.
The structure is one of the largest under cover, its dimensions being 100 by 200 feet, without a post or obstruction. The floor is of the finest quality and especially suited for dancing. Special lighting effects were provided and music without end. A symphony orchestra played for the dancers, while the Balboa jazz band furnished numbers in between.
The refreshments conformed to the Hoover program for war economy. Arrangements were made to take the Los Angeles guests back to the city in a special train, after the dance.
Some of those who attended the dance given by the Horkheimer Brothers in honor of Roscoe Arbuckle, on the occasion of the dedication of Balboa’s new glassed-in studio. In foreground: Fatty Arbuckle between the Army and Navy. Photo, courtesy of Marc Wanamaker.
Exterior view of glassed-in studio. Photo, courtesy of the Ronald W. Mahan & Joseph J. Musil Photo Theatre Collection.