Dr. Jake Wilson, Associate Professor
Phone: (562) 985-7379
- Introduction to Sociology [Soc. 100]
- Racism, Power, & Inequality [Soc. 436]
- Race, Racism, and Labor; Racialized-Gendered Divisions in the Working-Class; Logistics workers; Unions and Worker’s Movements; Whiteness; Masculinities; Environmental Justice
- Associate Editor, Journal of Social Justice
- Board of Directors, 49er Foundation
- Co-Coordinator, Metropolitan and Policy Studies Network (MAPS)
- B.S. (magna cum laude), Conservation & Resource Studies, UC Berkeley, 2001
- M.A., Ph.D., Sociology, UC Riverside, 2008
Selected publications, books:
- Alimahomed-Wilson, Jake. 2016. Solidarity Forever? Race, Gender, and Unionism in the Ports of Southern California. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Edna Bonacich and Jake B. Wilson. 2008. Getting the Goods: Ports, Labor, and the Logistics Revolution. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- Alimahomed-Wilson, Jake. 2012. “Black Longshoremen and the Fight for Equality in an ‘Anti-Racist’ Union.” Race & Class, 53(4): 39-53.
- Bonacich, Edna and Jake Alimahomed-Wilson. 2012. “Headway for African American Workers in South Los Angeles.” In Post-Ghetto: Reimagining South Los Angeles, edited by Josh Sides. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- Alimahomed-Wilson, Jake. 2011. “Men Along the Shore: Working-Class Masculinities in Crisis.” Nordic Journal for Masculinity Studies, 6(1): 22-44.
- Bonacich, Edna and Jake Alimahomed-Wilson. 2011. “Confronting Racism, Capitalism, and Ecological Degradation: Urban Farming and the Struggle for Social Justice in Black Los Angeles.” Souls, 13(2): 213-226.
- Bonacich, Edna, Sabrina Alimahomed, and Jake B. Wilson. 2008. “The Racialization of Global Labor.” American Behavioral Scientist, 52 (3): 342-355.
- Wilson, Jake B. 2008. “The Racialized Picket Line: White Workers and Racism in the Southern California Supermarket Strike.” Critical Sociology, 34 (3): 349-367.
- Bonacich, Edna and Jake B. Wilson. 2005. “Hoisted by its Own Petard: Organizing Wal-Mart’s Logistics Workers.” New Labor Forum, 14 (Summer): 67-75.
- Bonacich, Edna and Jake Wilson. 2005. “Global Production and Distribution: Wal-Mart’s Global Logistics Empire.” In Wal-Mart World, edited by Stanley D. Brunn. Pp. 227-242. New York: Routledge.
- Alimahomed-Wilson, Jake. 2013. “Logistics Revolution (in shipping).” SAGE Sociology of Work Encyclopedia, edited by Vicki Smith and Geoffrey Golson.
- Alimahomed, Sabrina and Jake Alimahomed-Wilson. 2009. “Protest as Embodied State Practices: An Examination of Hegemonic and Counter-Hegemonic Protest Tactics.” Perspectives on Anarchist Theory.
- 2015-2016 Distinguished Faculty Teaching Award. California State University, Long Beach.
- 2015 Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), Mentorship Award. California State University, Long Beach.
- 2014 Most Inspiring Professor, CSULB Alumni Association. California State University, Long Beach.
- 2013 Enhancing Education Through Technology (3ET) Award, Flipping the Classroom Stipend. California State University, Long Beach.
- 2013 Faculty Mentoring Award, Educational Opportunity Program (EOP). California State University, Long Beach.
- 2012 Labor Ignites Featured Scholar. The Dolores Huerta Labor Institute. Los Angeles Community College.