Dr. Varisa Patraporn, Assistant Professor
Phone: (562) 985-4607
- Introduction to Research Methods (SOC 270)
- Research Methods (SOC 354, 355, 696)
- Urban Sociology and Policy (SOC 540)
- Race/Ethnicity, Immigration and Community Economic Development
- B.A. (cum laude) in Political Science (Honors) and Sociology, UC Irvine
- Master of Public Policy, UCLA
- Ph.D. Urban Planning, UCLA
- Research and Evaluation Advisor, United Cambodian Community, (2015-present)
- Board Member, Khmer Girls in Action, (2012-2014)
- Advisory Board Member, Los Angeles Community Development Foundation, (2012-2015)
- Los Angeles Chapter Chair, National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum, (2003-2005)
- Patraporn, R. Varisa. 2019. “Serving the People in Long Beach, California: Advancing Justice for Southeast Asian Youth through Community University Partnerships.” AAPI Nexus Journal: Policy, Practice and Community 16 (No. 1&2): 1-34.
- Lee, C. Aujean and Patraporn, R. Varisa. 2019. “Let’s Get Along: Strengthening Academic-Nonprofit Partnerships in Research” AAPI Nexus Journal: Policy, Practice and Community 16 (No. 1&2): 85-110.
- Patraporn R. Varisa. 2015. “Complex Transactions: Community Development Financial Institutions Lending to Ethnic Entrepreneurs in Los Angeles” Community Development 46(5):479-498.
- Patraporn, R. Varisa, Diem Linda Tran and Paul M. Ong. 2015. “Risk and Rewards: Asian American Homeownership and Foreclosure in East San Gabriel Valley, CA” AAPI Nexus Journal: Policy, Practice and Community 13(1&2):122-148.
- Patraporn, R. Varisa, Paul M. Ong and Chhandara Pech. 2014 “The Complexity of Asian American Wealth: The Role of Ethnicity and Immigration in Understanding Within Group Disparities” (Ford Foundation Building Economic Security Over the Lifetime Policy Report) UCLA Asian American Studies Center.
- Patraporn, R.Varisa, Diem L. Tran, and Ong, Paul M Ong. 2013. “Wealth Roller Coaster: The Struggle for the American Dream of Homeownership in Los Angeles” (Ford Foundation Building Economic Security Over the Lifetime Policy Report), UCLA Asian American Studies Center.
- Patraporn, R. V., Pfeiffer, D. and Ong, P.M (2010). “Building Bridges to the Middle Class: The Role of Community Based Organizations in Asian American Wealth Accumulation.” Economic Development Quarterly, 24(4): 288-303.
- Patraporn. R. Varisa. 2010. “Thai Americans” Pp. 82-88 in Edith W. Chen and Grace J. Yoo, (eds.), Encyclopedia of Asian American Issues Today. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press.
- Patraporn, R. V., Ong, P. and Houston, D. (2009). “Closing the Asian White Wealth Gap?” Asian American Policy Review, 18:35-48.
- Ong, P. and Patraporn. R.V. (2006). “Asian American Wealth.” In Jessica Gordon Nembhard and Ngina Chiteji (Eds.), Wealth Accumulation and Communities of Color in the United States: Current Issues (Pp. 173-190), Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- 2007 Co-Principal Investigator, (with Paul Ong), Asset Building in Asian American Communities. Ford Foundation.
- 2005 Principal Investigator, The Role of Housing and Non-Assets Housing in Asian American Wealth. Department of Housing and Urban Development.