Sociology Honors Program
The Sociology Honors Program (SHP) at CSULB is designated for top achieving and committed sociology majors to gain rigorous training in independent research. Consisting of a year-long (two semester) thesis seminar and (availability pending) special topics seminar course, as well as other requirements, the Program seeks to produce graduating seniors capable of conducting graduate level research and writing. Students will receive training in areas such as formulating a research topic, conducting a literature review, learning methodologies, conducting research, analyzing data, writing a thesis and presenting research.
Students who successfully complete the program will receive a BA in Sociology with departmental honors and have gained preparation for graduate school or other research-oriented careers.
- 3.5 GPA in sociology, 3.2 GPA overall
- Completion of the four core lower division sociology courses: 100, 142, 250, 260
- Completion or or concurrent enrollment in Sociology 355 (Quantitative Methods) or 356
- Personal statement explaining your proposed thesis topic and your viability in the program
- Academic writing sample
- Faculty reference contact
- 6 units (split across two semesters) of the Sociology Honors Thesis Seminar (488H & 489H).3
- A senior’s thesis to be evaluated by the SHP committee.
Applicants will also need to ﬁll out a separate application form accompanied by:
Applications are due on April 11, 2014 for the 2014/15 academic year cohort.