To apply to the Master’s Program in Applied Sociology, the following is required:
- A Bachelor’s degree with a major in Sociology or a related subject, and a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Completion of a minimum of one course in statistics (equivalent to SOC 250), one upper division research methods course (equivalent to SOC 355) and one upper-division sociological theory course (equivalent to SOC 356 and/or SOC 357). Students whose undergraduate work is deficient in sociology will be required to complete appropriate prerequisite courses. Course deficiencies will be determined by the Department’s Graduate Committee after taking into account each student’s background and goals. Prerequisite courses will not count toward credit in the M.A.
- Official scores from the Graduate Record Examination.
- Official transcripts.
- Three letters of recommendation, including at least two from individuals well acquainted with the applicant’s academic ability.
- A 3-4 page (typed, double-spaced) personal statement describing the student’s qualifications and reasons for wanting to pursue an Applied Sociology M.A. at CSULB.
- Writing Sample.
- Experience in community organizations is helpful, but not required.
THE MA PROGRAM IS CURRENTLY CLOSED TO NEW APPLICANTS. Application information will be restored once recruitment for future cohorts resume.